Ugh, in addition to the missing posts from Friday and Tuesday, this was supposed to go up on both sites at the same time and for some reason didn’t go up on this one. So, written yesterday…:
A few months ago, Clancy gave 1-year (or so) notice at work (I may write more on this at some point). We will be leaving next summer. We don’t know what comes next. We will also be dealing with a little one at around this time. Uncertainty abounds.
Today another wrench was thrown into everything. As a good faith gesture, we’d let our landlords know that we would be leaving next summer. Today they informed us that they want us out in April, three or four months before we plan to leave Callie.
So now we have to figure out what to do. Most likely, we put our stuff in storage and live thin for that period. Well, as thin as you can with a little one. I can’t imagine that we will want to actually pack/unpack twice. Fortunately, there is a storage place two blocks away. But it’s a suboptimal arrangement in so many ways. Among other things, the rental market around here is terrible.
The other option is that Clancy leaves sooner than announced. She will be going on maternity leave when the peanut is born and that will last twelve weeks. Coming back for a couple months after and then leaving again isn’t optimal (if her employer goes for it), and I’d be lying if I said that there wasn’t a part of us that wanted her out of that job as soon as possible, but nine months of unemployment is a lot to shoulder.
We have some money saved up, but per Paragraph #1 we are looking at some real financial uncertainty in the days that lay ahead. Unpaid maternity leave followed by a couple months in between jobs and what may be a rigid employment schedule if everything goes right.
Basically, she is looking at going through another fellowship, which eliminates the possibility of just finding a new job and moving there. The fellowship may or may not happen, but we can’t plan over it. So taking this opportunity to just leave means a financial strain or a foregone opportunity.
The other vague possibility is a return to the southwest and the Indian reservation she worked on before. She loved it there and they loved her. We’d considered moving down there for the indefinite future, but they’re changing the job description away from what she wants to do (which is, in essence, exactly what happened in Arapaho). It could serve as a holdover, with our stuff in storage back in Callie.
I haven’t seen Clancy in about four days due to her call schedule and a constant influx of patients, though she is due home tonight. So it’ll be great that our first conversation is going to be “What the crap are we going to do?!” And, of course, the more we talk about it, the less we’re spending on more pleasant topics and the less time she has to work on the notes and charts that have been accumulating during her work rally.
Also, the in-laws arrive late tomorrow.